Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Well, it's 1,2,3...what are we doing here?

I love to travel. There, I've stated the obvious. Seeing new places, meeting new friends, enjoying new experiences and encountering new cultures are what make me the happiest. No part of me likes to be enclosed or to "stand still". My heart, my brain cry for the free, unfettered learning experience that travel permits. I was fortunate to have the perfect travel companion. Grace and I traveled well and far. We started over twenty years ago and I am still going. She has found her found her final home, one common to us both. We shared this passion from California to Here...Rome,    the home of our hearts.

Because you are a traveler, you are always one step removed from everyday life. Some of the mundane tasks are skipped or given to some one else to do. Chores and problems are not permitted to interfere with your dreams. It is only one step, but it is always there. We have tried to overcome this "one step" and to some degree feel successful. We, now only I, feel privileged to have such a warm, caring "Roman family" to add to our natural ones.

Travel is not free, so prioritizing is your first need. Budget, theme, destination, etc. In short, some research is required. Going to the local travel agent and saying, "We want to go somewhere" is not the best start. It may be your only chance to do this, after all money is going to play a big part in this decision as will your health. You will exceed your budget and you will overpack...you pay for both! Knowing that try to figure out if a cruise, camping, guided tour, etc will be your best solution. Countryside? City? History? Culture? What interests you (both)?

Then go do it! Remember the keyword...go! You will be leaving your natural element...it's no longer Kansas, Toto.
The world is big and every place you go from Maine to Madagascar is a new experience. Forget the way Mom made spaghetti and meat balls or that they play cricket not baseball and remember its a new experience for you. Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. If you have comments I would be happy to see them. Hope to hear from you.