Friday, June 7, 2013

I'm Walking

So far I have not done any pieces on the glory of Rome. Here are some of my excuses. The weather has not been agreeable, lots of piove (rain) and decidedly un-Floridalike weather. The smartest (luckiest) decision I made was to pack my leather jacket. Also the lack of ability to use my photos has been a psychological draw back. And, you have all heard we prattle on about my little slice of heaven. But summer seems to be nearing. Every day is no longer a rain event and blue skies rule.

So here i am in my office telling you that I still continue to find new wonders. One hot summer day a few years ago Grace and I went by S. Giovanni Laterano, the Pope's church. We managed the walk in the park aspect, but the summer heat prevented visiting the church itself. Yesterday I finished our visit. I took a taxi to Porta Maggiore, walked to Tempio Minerva, around the block and back to the church. It is very hard for me to take a stand when comparing the beauty of one church against another. The splendor, magnificent art, sculpture and grandeur exist in them all. My feeling that these buildings are the true museums for the masses is enhanced with each visit. The renaissance was funded mainly by the church and its rich benefactors. Rome is a visual confirmation of this with more churches than days of the year and scores of old palatial villas now turned into world class museums.

Earlier I wrote of my "soft list", places that I want to visit or to re-visit. One of those spots was the Coppede district. An area in the north east area of Rome called after its architect, Coppede. This is a relatively small place that encompasses the Piazza Mincio. Not big, but stunning. It is like a "Fantasia" version of renaissance Rome...Gaudi-esque, to coin a phrase.Not a straight line to be seen, just as nature would have it! Photos do not do justice to Gaudi and I doubt that the ones I took will do much for Coppede. One hopes!

Many of my walks only accomplish a part of what I had intended. I do not care, there is always tomorrow and I have had a wonderful day. Especially the climb to Gianicolo. My intent was to watch the cannon being fired at noon as it is every day. Sore and aching legs and feet aside it was splendid. The views from the hill show Rome at it's best,a city of both natural and man-made beauty.

Today, tomorrow, who knows? But it will be beautiful because that is the only choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. If you have comments I would be happy to see them. Hope to hear from you.