Monday, June 17, 2013

Up close and personal

I have a camera, three actually and have been using one for nearly fifty years. One of the first things I encountered was the fact that we as humans have an actively sympathetic view of life. We see what we want to. The camera sees what is. Once upon a time that was easily proven by the number of photos that included a finger...as in over the lens. now more evident by the proverbial growth from your beloved wife's head. Of course you can truthfully answer her query with, "I only had eyes for you,dear!" Learning how to use the camera is another option.

Yesterday's question was, "Is a photo of a reflection real"? Our answer, I think, was it is a real picture of an image...give or take. Jury remains out on that verdict. The camera is a tool, both like and unlike a hammer. You need to use it for the correct task to get the most from it. Take the photo with the camera, hang it with the hammer.

Last night, as the drunks and druggies paraded past my window I gave some thought...to murder! Also, since I had so much time on my hands, to my photography. Once I thought that human shots were primo. Then possibly landscape...now I don't know. Perhaps what pops up. 
Availability! When I am in a new place or a city early morning is my chosen time. I love to get up and browse for a new shot. If time permits, I will try and set it up as best possible, that failing the "shotgun" system works too. Shoot a lot and choose the best later. Photo shop cures all.

Glass, water, clean cars are all your friends. The shiny surfaces give you a new view-point on what could be a very trite or jaded subject. My new camera allows me to shoot from wide angle to macro to loooong distance with the twist  of my fingers,learn the parameters of the tool. Think outside the box. Twist, bend, manipulate the subject. Change the view, the distance, etc. One subject but multiple slants and views. If/when that fails, I go home...and return again. Could be the same Colloseo or not. Or just more coffee, who knows. The walk is nice regardless. Win! Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. If you have comments I would be happy to see them. Hope to hear from you.